cerebral palsy (cerebral palsy) - a group of diseases characterized by central nervous system.The main reason for the disease - damage to the brain cells, which was caused by oxygen deprivation or injury in the prenatal or postnatal period.At the same time observed dysfunction of muscle and motor systems and poor coordination of movements and speech.
about how to identify cerebral palsy in newborns, we discuss in this article.
Factors detrimental effects on the brain
Usually, the cause of this disease is the pathological processes occurring in the body during pregnancy, and it is necessary to talk about several issues that have arisen at the same time.Most important for the emergence of cerebral palsy in infants causes:
- forced oxygen starvation of the fetus in the womb, caused by blood circulation disorders of the brain;
- acute lack of oxygen during birth or shortly after birth (by the way, a special place is occupied by premature birth by Caesarean section);
- infectious diseases of the mother;
- birth injuries.
cerebral palsy in infants: symptoms, allowing diagnosis
To deal with this serious problem, it is necessary to begin treatment as soon as possible (75% of cases of cerebral palsy are reversible, provided the treatment initiated up to 3 years).That is attentive parents can notice in time or that the child's behavioral problems and bring them to the attention of local pediatrician.And for this they need to remember the symptoms characteristic of cerebral palsy:
- child to one and a half months old, lying on his tummy, does not hold up the head up;
- he preserved longer than usual absolute reflexes: hand-mouth (if you press the baby on her hands, he is sure to reveal the mouth) and automatic distance (if the baby lean on the legs and leaned forward, he begins to touch them, as if the steps);these reflexes should disappear in 2 months;
- the child after 4 months of no interest in toys;
- kid making involuntary movements, flinches or freezes in a pose;
- often gags and bad sucks.
cerebral palsy in infants: symptoms, confirming the diagnosis
particularly vivid example for the detection of cerebral palsy - a permanent manipulation of only one handle, while the other pressed against the body and strongly compressed.Often the mother can be difficult to separate the legs of an infant or turn his head.
Equally characteristic is one more feature: the baby in order to get a handle in his mouth, turning away from her.Also prominently inability to sit alone to six months old (usually with cerebral palsy that happens only to 3 years) and a child begins to walk, only 4 years old.
cerebral palsy in newborns: the symptoms as a criterion for prognosis
Parents need to remember that cerebral palsy - a disease that is not inclined to progression.In addition, despite the strong backlog of motor functions, psyche these children do not always suffer.Therefore, prognosis and treatment efficacy entirely depend on the severity of the disease.
Due to the high compensatory possibilities of a child's brain can be canceled many of the effects of damage and, therefore, forecast the treatment of cerebral palsy in newborns, the symptoms of which are confirmed, it may be beneficial.The main thing in this case - is not lost time to begin treatment and to be persistent in their desire to see the baby healthy.Good luck to you!